I take a lot of photos of a lot of things, and to avoid them just collecting dust on my shelves (i.e. Flickr and my hard drives), I want to find a use for them. It goes without saying that all rights of the photos are reserved to me, I hold the copyright. That being said, I’ve yet to turn anyone down when inquiring about permission. I have occasionally ran into photos of mine in use by websites and blogs that were not credited to me, in which case I’ve simply asked to be credited. To date I have only once had to ask someone to remove my photo because I did not appreciate the context within which it was used, without credit or permission. Saves everyone trouble if you ask beforehand. When it comes to commercial uses of my photos, as a constantly broke student, so I’ll appreciate all the help I can get. Make me an offer.
If you wish to use any of my photos for anything, below are my (typically negotiable) terms for granting permission:
- Facebook and other social networking sites You may use any of my photos for a Facebook group, event or fan page IF you credit me (Jani Helle) and link back to my website (JaniHelle.com). Prior permission is preferable so I can judge whether I agree with the content of the purpose the photo is being used for or not.
- Personal blogs and websites (without ads) You may use my photos on your blog if you link back to either the corresponding Flickr page and/or JaniHelle.com AND credit the photo to Jani Helle.
- Personal blogs and websites (with ads) Inquire about permission beforehand. Depending on the amount of traffic/nature of website I may ask you to do some push-ups, or something more sensible. Make me an offer.
- Other non-commercial uses No prior permission is required, but preferred. I ask of you to tell me where, how long and for what purpose the photo is used for. I reserve the right to refuse use if content is objectionable. Photo must be credited to Jani Helle and JaniHelle.com.
- Commercial websites Prior permission required, with credit to Jani Helle and JaniHelle.com. Depending on the nature of usage and whether profit is made directly because of the photo/amount of profit, I may require a fee for use. Make me an offer.
- Commercial Products Prior permission required, with credit to Jani Helle and JaniHelle.com. Depending on the nature of usage and whether profit is made directly because of the photo/amount of profit, I may require a fee for use. Make me an offer.
For example, usage in a book: Prior permission, credit to name and website, possible fee.
- Other commercial uses Please inquire about permission before use. In all cases credit toJani Helle and JaniHelle.com Depending on the nature of usage and whether profit is made directly because of the photo/amount of profit, I may require a fee for use. Make me an offer.
When in doubt, please inquire about permission and credit to Jani Helle and JaniHelle.com. The only exception to the above terms is usage of photos of the University of Glasgow for purposes directly relating to the University of Glasgow. In such cases please credit to Jani Helle and my photo blog, Photos From Glasgow University (GlasgowUniPhoto.com).
All terms are negotiable and I’ve yet to say no or be too demanding.